SAFETY TIPS FOR PARENTS:
* Make sure you always drop off and pick up your child at their designated bus stop. Remind your child to always follow their bus driver’s instructions at the bus stop. Children may get excited to see you after school and dart across the road before the bus driver has given them the hand signal that it’s safe to cross.
* Be sure someone responsible walks with your child and waits with them at the bus stop. Kindergarten students MUST have a parent or guardian meet the bus in order to be dropped off. If someone different will be meeting the bus please call the Transportation Office so they may inform the driver of the change.
* Before you leave the house, put everything that your child will need into their backpack so they won’t drop items along the way. Make sure all loose straps, drawstrings, etc. are secured so they won’t get caught in the handrail or door of the bus as they are entering or exiting.
* If possible, dress your child in bright, contrasting colors so drivers can easily see them. Take extra precaution when they are waiting at the bus stop in the dark. In cold weather, dress your child in a warm hat instead of having them wear a hood. Hoods can make it more difficult for them to hear and see traffic as they are crossing the street.
* Make sure your child leaves for the bus stop at a reasonable time to avoid rushing or running.
* Please give extra kisses and hugs BEFORE the bus is at your stop. Your child will need to pay attention to the bus driver’s hand signals when it’s time to get on the bus, you don’t want to distract your child OR cause the bus to wait.
* Show your child how to safely walk to the bus stop. Always walk on the sidewalk when possible, stay out of the street. If you must walk in the road, walk as close to the side of the road as possible, and always walk facing oncoming traffic.
* ALWAYS communicate any changes to your child’s transportation by email at email@example.com or a phone call (440) 256-3311 ext 1013 to the Transportation Office. The driver needs to concentrate on driving and safety at the bus stop, and can not document requests.