Child Find

Getting Started

Kirtland Local Schools is responsible for identifying, locating and evaluating any child, birth to age 21, with a suspected disability who resides within the Kirtland School District, or who attends a private school located within the district boundaries. This process is provided at no cost to the family. Special Education and related services are available to children who are identified as being “a child with a disability” according to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA) or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. There are thirteen categories of disabilities under IDEIA: Autism, Cognitive Disability, Deaf-blindness, Deafness, Emotional Disturbance, Hearing Impairment, Multiple Disabilities, Orthopedic Impairment, Other Health Impaired, Specific Learning Disability, Speech or Language Impairment, Traumatic Brain Injury and Visual Impairment. Parents, relatives, public and private agency employees, childcare providers, physicians and concerned citizens are encouraged to help school districts find any child, birth-21, who may have a disability and are in need of special education and related services. If you know of a child who resides within the Kirtland School District or attends a private school located within the district boundaries, and who is suspected of having a disability, please contact the following:

Birth to Three Years of Age
: For services for children under three years of age, please contact Help Me Grow at 440-350-2433. There are many developmental milestone checklists available online. Three that may be helpful to you are:,, and

Preschool Children
: If you are aware of a preschooler from 3 through 5 years of age, who has, or may have, a disability, please call the school psychologist at Kirtland Local Schools. During the summer months, you may contact the Kirtland Board of Education at 440-256-3311 (x1000). See the above web sites for milestone information.

School age children
: If you have a child already enrolled in the Kirtland Local School district who may be in need of special education services, please call the school psychologist directly. You may also share your concern with your child’s teacher, counselor, or principal. There are many online resources that look at milestones for children in elementary through high school years. One that may be helpful is:

Transfer students
: If your child is transferring into the Kirtland Local Schools and has received special education services from your previous district, please report this information to the Board of Education or building secretary at the time of registration/enrollment. It would be helpful if you provide copies of your child’s current Evaluation Team Report (ETR) and Individualized Education Plan (IEP) at the time of registration.

Students in private schools
: If your child attends a private school within the district boundaries (Example, Peaceful Children Montessori or Willoughby Christian) and you suspect a disability, please contact the building principal at that school who will then initiate the identification process with our district. You may also contact our school psychologist.

Special Education Department
: For general questions or concerns about Child Find or district special education services, please feel free to contact the Director of Pupil Services. 
Print This Article
View text-based website